Follow Us:

Rising Electricity Costs: How Upgrading To LED Lighting Can Save You Money

  • Home
  • Blog Articles
  • Rising Electricity Costs: How Upgrading To LED Lighting Can Save You Money
Rising Electricity Costs: How Upgrading To LED Lighting Can Save You Money

The cost of energy in Calgary has risen in recent months and it is expected for these costs to stay high into the fall and winter. Price hikes in the energy sector are costing home and business owners all over Calgary and throughout Alberta, leaving people searching for ways to lower their energy bills. As energy prices continue to rise, many people are making the switch to LED lighting. While there are some other ways to help your home cut down on power use and lower your electricity bill, LED lighting can make a major change to your power usage. Switching from incandescent lighting to LED lighting will reduce your energy use as soon as you switch and will continue to save you money for years to come.

The Cost Efficiency of LED Lighting

Less Energy Use
LED lighting uses far less energy than incandescent bulbs. This is because LED lighting uses more of the energy taken in to actually produce light. If you’ve tried to take an incandescent light out of its socket shortly after turning it off, you will know that it is too hot to handle and needs cooling down time. This is because incandescent lights release the majority of the energy they take in as heat, as opposed to light. Incandescent lighting releases about 90% of the energy it takes in as heat energy, and only 10% of that energy as light. As energy prices rise, this 90% quickly adds up as a wasteful and expensive use of energy. LED lighting, on the other hand, only releases about 5% of its energy as heat and the remaining 95% of energy is released as light. 

Fewer Lightbulb Purchases
LED lighting lasts anywhere between 50,000 and 100,000 hours, whereas incandescent lighting tends to only last for approximately 1,200 hours. Because of this huge difference in lifespan, LED bulbs do not need to be changed nearly as often as incandescent lighting. Although the upfront cost of buying LED lighting is more expensive than incandescent lighting (with LED lighting costing more to purchase per bulb) this is made up for when you consider that each LED lightbulb can last for nearly 30 times longer than an incandescent bulb. When you take lifespan into account, LED lighting is actually more affordable.

LED Lighting For Businesses
Homeowners aren’t the only ones who will have to pay more as energy prices rise. Businesses that use incandescent or fluorescent lighting can also significantly reduce their energy bill by switching to LED lighting. In fact, upgrading your fluorescent lighting to LED lighting can offer your company energy saving as well as other benefits. If you do want to switch your company to LED lighting, you may also want to consider installing other energy saving products, such as motion activated lights.


LED Lighting Services In Calgary

If you are searching for ways to reduce your energy consumption and lower your energy bill, switch to LED lighting. Although you may require an LED retrofit, you will see an immediate decrease in your energy bill. Investing in LED lighting to reduce the amount of energy you use will greatly benefit your household or business for years to come and can even give you control over the tone of your lighting. For an LED retrofit so you can start saving money on your electricity bill as soon as possible, contact the lighting experts at Fluorescent Man Lighting And Electrical in Calgary. Our lighting experts will quickly and effectively perform an LED retrofit and can answer any questions you may have about LED lighting. Contact Fluorescent Man Lighting And Electrical at 1-403-863-8529 or fill out the online contact form.



Q: How much does a consultation cost?
A: FM Lighting and Electrical offers a free consultation that includes:

  • An assessment of your electrical needs
  • Recommendations of the best products for your home or business
  • An effective and efficient solution design
  • A no-obligation quote

Q: What is a lighting retrofit?
A: A lighting retrofit is a process of replacing certain components in an already existing lighting system with more efficient, up-to-date solutions. This allows you to avoid buying brand new lighting fixtures for your entire space, which saves significant amounts of money. Learn more by reading What Is Involved In An LED Retrofit?

Q: How do you know who is the right electrician to hire?
A: A great electrician is licensed, reputable, knowledgeable, and specializes in energy conservation and LED lighting. Read Choosing The Right LED Lighting Electrician to learn more.

Share This Post:

Related Posts

Latest Testimonial

“​Hey Nigel, just thought I would let you know our electricity averaged around $630/month before the upgrade, compared with the September bill that we just got of only $370 – much better savings than we thought. The condo board members are extremely pleased!”​


Contact Us

Questions? Comments? Call us today at 403-863-8529 or fill out the form below:

Have Questions? Call Us Today At

Call Us