Follow Us:

What Causes Power Surges In Your Home?

We’ve all experienced power surges, but how much do you really know about them? Learn about this potential hazard and how our Calgary electricians & electrical repair services can keep your home and family safe.

Power surges occur whenever the wiring in your office or home experiences brief jolts of high electrical voltage. They can be minor or severe, but they are far from harmless.

In fact, power surges can:

  • Damage your electrical outlets
  • Damage your expensive appliances
  • Start dangerous electrical fires

Being aware and proactive against the causes of power surges, such as hiring a professional electrician for any electrical repairs needed, can save your electronics, and more importantly, your life.

Professional and Licensed Electricians in Calgary

Are you experiencing electrical problems in the home or workplace? Our qualified team offers comprehensive and affordable electrical repair services to ensure your wiring and lighting is working safely and optimally.

Want to know more?



4 Main Causes of Power Surges

As a Calgary homeowner, it’s important to be educated on power surges. These happen when there is a huge spike in your electrical system’s current, and while they only last a fraction of a second, they can cause permanent damage to your outlets or plugged-in appliances.

Understanding the causes of these power surges will help you avoid them, maintain your electrical system, and protect your home and loved ones.

Here are the 4 main causes of power surges:

  1. Electrical Overload

An electrical overload happens when you try to draw too much power from a single circuit. This can happen for a number of reasons, including when you:

  • Overuse extension cords
  • Plug in too many appliances
  • Use an appliance above a circuit’s amperage levels

Electrical overloads can lead to power surges because the overwhelmed circuit may receive a massive spike in current, due to excessive power being drawn.

  1. Faulty Wiring

Wiring is essential for distributing electricity properly and if it is damaged, or the casing is exposed, it offers little electrical resistance, meaning that any conductive material can spike the wire’s current to dangerous levels.

Here are a few signs that you have faulty wiring:

  • Your outlets have visible burn marks
  • Your outlets are giving off a burning smell
  • You can hear a vibrating or buzzing sound coming from your outlets
  • Your circuit breakers are tripping frequently

If you are noticing any of these signs, then it’s important to call a professional electrician for further consultation.



  1. High Power Electrical Devices

High energy appliances or machinery such as elevators, refrigerators, or air conditioners can often cause energy spikes and power surges. Why? Because they tend to draw an abnormally large amount of electricity, they can overpower other appliances and electronics, causes your lights and smaller items to flicker and blink on and off.

  1. Lightning

Lightning touching down near your power line can add an extra spike in electrical voltage that equals millions of volts, which is why it’s so important to use a surge protector to protect your items such as computers, cable box, or lamps.

Tip: During very severe storms, it may be best to power down and unplug any expensive equipment you have.


A Professional Electrician Can Help Protect Your Home

Whether you’re worried about a power surge, or you’re in need of any other electrical repairs or services, it’s always best to let a professional electrician diagnose and mend potential issues. Taking electrical tasks into your own hands can cause excessive damage to your home wiring, and to your health.

To find out more about how our team can help with any concerns you may have, contact our Calgary office today at 403-863-8529 or fill in our online contact form.

Share This Post:

Related Posts

Latest Testimonial

“​Hey Nigel, just thought I would let you know our electricity averaged around $630/month before the upgrade, compared with the September bill that we just got of only $370 – much better savings than we thought. The condo board members are extremely pleased!”​


Contact Us

Questions? Comments? Call us today at 403-863-8529 or fill out the form below:

Have Questions? Call Us Today At

Call Us